Network install FC7

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Nov 8 20:01:08 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 15:55 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> Tim:
>> Craig White :
>>> solution the same either way.
>> I'd have thought so, but I was asking in case there was some bug in the
>> newest install routine.
>>
>>> copy iso to system that has httpd running, loop mount in /var/www/html
>>> path somewhere...good to go.
>>>
>>> mkdir /var/www/html/FC8
>>> mount -t iso /tmp/F-8-x86_64-DVD.iso /var/www/html/FC8
>>>
>>> linux method=http://MY_WEB_SERVER/FC8/disc1
>> It occurred to me that you could have some SELinux issues from that sort
>> of thing, if the contexts aren't in place to allow HTTP serving of those
>> files.
>>
>> I did a network install of FC7 ages ago, but I can't recall what
>> protocol I used.  Whichever technique it was, I would have copied the
>> files to a directory, I didn't use a loop mount, or serve out the ISO.
> ----
> if you serve out as NFS, you don't need to loop mount. You only serve
> the iso's themselves via NFS

I think your terms "iso's" is the key, I used to export the tree with
the contents of the CD releases of everything up to FC5, possible FC6,
those distributions which came on CD. But now that the releases are
DVD-only, the installer can't seem to cope with the exported single ISO
image. Feel free to prove me wrong, if you can get a box to start
install past the point where it tries to get "stage2.img" you will be
past where I got using http or nfs export.

Note that I was able to download the file with another machine using
either protocol, and verified the success with an MD5sum to be sure it
worked. The problem is with the install code, and I note that the
access.log of the http server shows that it is looking for things in a
"disk1/" directory, indicating the the install was moved from CD to DVD,
but the install script doesn't seem to have been.

Again, feel free to point out some mistake I'm making, I've done a
*bunch* of machine with older distributions, and had no problem. And I
tried both the boot.iso from the DVD and the Live-CD install, with
stoppage at exactly the same point.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>