Fedora+KVM, any docs showing networking ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Nov 8 23:16:22 UTC 2007

Naoki wrote:
> I'm  a tad stuck here, looking for help..  Do any Fedora users out there
> have pointers to Fedora specific docs (examples?) on KVM and networking
> ? I'm F8 but will take F7 docs.
>
> My situation..
>
> I have a KVM'ed OS that cannot communicate with the outside world,  I
> understand this is because unlike Xen, KVM does not automatically
> configure 'bridge networking'.
>
> None of the Fedora docs (including beats) show any references to setting
> up KVM networking and simple list "use  qemu-kvm".
>
> Upon running 'qemu-kvm' it complains with :
>
> open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
> Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

That's easy, after you
   modprobe -v kvm-intel
you will have /dev/kvm. You can then give yourself rwx permissions by
group, or whatever. I am in root group, so I just
   chmod g+rwx /dev/kvm
to get it done. Some of the docs claim selinux has to be disabled, I'm
not willing to do that (yet) as all the non-networked stuff works just
fine as is. I build software under BSD, run Windows applications, etc.
But the network stuff doesn't want to work, even when I create a bridge,
etc.

> And when I attempt to load my network device as a bridge device I get :
>
> Bringing up interface eth0:  Bridge support not available in this kernel
>
> So I'm referring to the qemu docs for help but so far I'm finding Ubuntu
> specific docs and I'd rather like to get this working sooner rather than
> later.

There is bridge module and utility stuff to download, the machine on
which I did it is offline (and FC6) at the moment, so I can't give details.

I never did get kvm working for network access, and I'd rather use it
than xen if I could, so if you get it done a one screen howto would be
useful. There's some stuff I pulled off virtual.org (from memory)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>