f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 9 16:59:43 UTC 2007

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>  >In a previous post you said network starts at rl 3
>  >and NM at run level 5.
>  >True but if you use NM you should not have network running..
>  >NM is designed by gnome.org to  run in gnome. With some KDE support.
>
> NM by design is completely DE neutral. It wasn't designed by
> "gnome.org". It was designed and continues to be  maintained by Red Hat
> developers.
>
>  >The OP commented that his connection was severed when he went to rl 3.
>  >That  is what will happen if you connect using NM at rl 5.
>  >I'll bite. what front end to NM runs at rl 3. I went back and it was not
> in your earlier post.
> ----
>
> It was not in my earlier post because the question doesn't make any
> sense. NetworkManager is a root daemon that handles the network
> connection and policy. It can't possibly have a graphical frontend in
> runlevel 3.
> re they
> Rahul

You need to read what you say. I know you are trying to answer every
ones questions and it is hard to keep up. I did not say graphical front
end. I said front end. You were the one that said their were a variety
of applications that would act as a "front end" or give access to NM in
rl 3. What are they? Do you mean system-config network?
Chicago law prohibits eating in a place that is on fire.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net