vertical bars over images in firefox

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Nov 9 19:56:56 UTC 2007

Hi all,

When using firefox since fc6 (I skipped fc5) I've noticed that many
images, suchas .swf, now display as a large pair of vertical bars,
somewhat simalar to the insignia worn by U.S. Army captains, that may
appear alone or on top of some other background.

On really lousy sites where it's flash or nothing or where most of the
adverts are flash this is (IMO) just plain ugly and really annoying.
It's as if someone is threating "Use flash or else we'll destroy your
user experience".  If that's the case how about a little CSS ala "body
{display: none;}" and we wouldn't have to waste our time on sites like
that.  <-- me being facetious ;)   Whatever happened to "failing
gracefully", the mantra of web designers?

Does anybody know where these abuses have come from?  Are they from the
Mozilla project or is this something peculiar to fedora's spin of
firefox or perhaps something peculiar to fedora itself?

Regardless of its origin I would like to stop it.  Anybody know how to
change this behavior?

Forever indebted to whomever has a solution,
Mike Wright