creating custom initrd

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Nov 9 23:32:05 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 15:14 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 17:33 +0100, info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
>> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to define which modules mkinitrd should add to the initrd?
>>>
>>> I have a custom initrd, but after every kernel upgrade, it recreates the
>>> initrd. When it does this,
>>> I loose the extra module I need, so I end up recreating the initrd
>>> myself again.
>>>
>>> I know in Ubuntu and Debian there is a file somewhere in /etc/sysconfig
>>> that defines the modules
>>> to use when building the initrd. But I have yet to find this file in Fedora.
>>>
>> The --with option in mkinitrd
>
> mkinitrd will load any modules required to mount the root filesystem
> (e.g. SCSI, ext3, network [if / is on an NFS volume], etc.)  If you need
> additional modules, then "--with=name-of-module" is required.

Some one has to remember what the extra modules are? It's difficult
enough for me, let alone any colleagues who might share the
responsibility, or my successor.

The Nameless One's point (in part) is that in Debian. one adds those
names to a configuration file, and then
1. It's documented for said colleagues and successors
2. It happens every time in the future, nobody has to remember it.

I think you can do something by adding a file to
/etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/ where you set MODULES to the list of modules to
add,

--

Cheers
John