f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Nov 11 03:46:07 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:36:07AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> From what I've seen here, I don't think Fedora would do better, I didn't
> have wireless in runlevel 3; I don't think I tried wired-only networking
> while running networkmanager.

To get wireless in RL3, you need to write a script, something like
this for my home network and my Lenovo r51 (ipw2200):

# Log in to curleynet

# Time-stamp: <2007-07-20 22:04:11 root curleynet>

# clean out the driver, in case it is hung up, and reinitialise the
# hardware.

rmmod ipw2200
modprobe ipw2200
killall dhclient

# Detect the wireless interface, ignoring output to stderr.

IF=$(iwconfig 2> /dev/null | grep ESSID | cut -d ' ' -f1)
echo Interface is $IF

iwconfig $IF essid Curleynet nick dragon channel 6 key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mode managed
# dhclient $IF

ifconfig $IF 192.168.1.4

route del default
route del default               # in case there are two.
route add default gw 192.168.1.12
route -n

cat > /etc/resolv.conf <<EORES
search localdomain
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.4
nameserver 192.168.1.3
EORES

ifconfig $IF
iwconfig $IF

Obviously that isn't very flexible, but it works for me at home.

I originally wrote that because NM was a turkey and couldn't reliably
associate with my home network. It is not much more reliable, but I
keep this script around for those times when NM looses its marbles.