F8 - upgrading impossible

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Nov 11 09:03:27 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 November 2007, Björn Persson wrote:
> I managed to make use of the DVD image I had downloaded even though I had
> to resort to upgrading via Yum. I wrote the file
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-iso.repo like this:
>
> [fedora ISO]
> name=Fedora ISO $releasever - $basearch
> baseurl=file:///urrrrk/
> metadata_expire=-1
> cost=500
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
> file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
>
> Yum will then not download a package if it's available on the DVD image, so
> most of the data for this upgrade was downloaded through Bittorrent.
>
> For some deranged reason Yum complained when the DVD image was mounted
> on /mnt, claiming that pretty much every package required 8 kB of space on
> "the /mnt filesystem", so I created a new directory (called /urrrrk) and
> mounted the image there.
>
> I had to remove a few packages to make Yum happy, so it's quite possible
> that Anaconda could have worked once those packages were gone, but with
> this method I can at least see *which* packages cause trouble, and it saves
> a lot of rebooting :-)

I'll try this method on my other systems. This should make upgrading also a
bit faster.

I currently managed to upgrade two systems via the net. I enabled some
repositories straight away in the upgrade process and let it run over night.
Besides minor issues (no nvidia package found for the latest kernel for
example) I have not seen many issues. I replaced the latest kernel by stock
Fedora 8 kernel and was able to get the nvidia drivers going in a few
minutes.
The only issue I still have is a problem in yumex :

09:55:25 : Failure getting
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/linux/updates/8/x86_64/repodata/comps-f8.xml:
09:55:25 :   --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
09:55:25 : Trying other mirror.
09:55:26 : Failure getting
http://ftp.SURFnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/linux/updates/8/x86_64/repodata/comps-f8.xml:
09:55:26 :   --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
09:55:26 : Trying other mirror.
09:55:28 : Failure getting
ftp://ftp.tudelft.nl/pub/Linux/download.fedora.redhat.com/linux/updates/8/x86_64/repodata/comps-f8.xml:
09:55:28 :   --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
09:55:28 : Trying other mirror.
09:55:29 : Failure getting
ftp://alviss.et.tudelft.nl/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/x86_64/repodata/comps-f8.xml:
09:55:29 :   --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
09:55:29 : Trying other mirror.
09:55:50 : failure: repodata/comps-f8.xml from updates: [Errno 256] No more
mirrors to try.

Regards,
Marcel