How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Gijs info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Sun Nov 11 12:53:29 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 09:02:31PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> Chris G wrote:

>>> Ah, yes, but what do I put as my address in /etc/aliases?  I can't
>>> find an address that makes sendmail send it to me on this machine.
>>>
>> chrisg at localhost perhaps
>>

> I have tried:-
>
>     chris at localhost
>     chris at 192.168.1.1
>     chris@[192.168.1.1]
>
> and sendmail tries to send the *all* to the outside world!

You can send root's mail to a user like so (in /etc/aliases):
root: chris

But if you really want mail to get delivered to an emailaddress without
going through the internet, you'll have to setup your own pop3/imap
server, along with corresponding domain-setups (like John already
mentioned before). But is it really that big of a problem to go through
all this hassle? Setting your email address in the aliases file does
mean its a long round trip for the email, but in the end the mail does
get delivered to the correct person.