F8 - upgrading impossible

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 11 13:16:33 UTC 2007

Marcel Janssen wrote:

> If re-installing is the only option than I'll stay with F7.

I haven't read all this thread,
but the title is certainly misleading.
I upgraded from F7 to F8 with only one problem (see below),
and the F8 system seems to be working perfectly.

I followed what may be an unusual route;
I transferred the KDE Live CD to a USB stick,
and copied the DVD ISO to the hard disk.
(I only have a DVD reader on 2 out of 6 machines,
so it would hardly have been worth while burning the DVD.)

On booting from the USB stick I was asked
if I wanted to install or upgrade, and I chose upgrade.
The process was remarkably fast, with about 900 packages
updated in about 40 minutes (on a fairly old AMD64 machine).

The one problem was that my old grub.conf was deleted,
and the new one that was written had root (hd1,2)
instead of (hd0,2) - presumably because
during the upgrade the USB stick became hd0.

However, it does seem to me a bug that there was no choice,
as far as I could see, to specify that
I wanted to keep the old grub root.
Surely this should be the default when upgrading, anyway?

Also I wasn't given the option, as I was with FC6 to F7,
to update my old grub.conf .
It seemed the upgrade deleted this whatever I said.

This wasn't too great a problem,
as I entered grub interactively and gave the correct root,
and then edited grub.conf .
(If this hadn't worked I would have booted with Knoppix
and done the same.)