upgrading from F7 to F8

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 11 15:44:06 UTC 2007

Mariusz wrote:

> I am reporting the same problem: the Fedora 8 installer hangs during the
> F7->F8 upgrade at "Checking dependencies in packages selected for
> installation...". This is happening to me at 26% mark (you can see the
> progress when making your upgrade in the text mode). I tried it several
> times, both in graphical and text modes. The hang is always occurring at
> exactly the same place.
> Like Antti, I NEVER had this problem before, and I always have been
> upgrading, never making fresh installs, all the way from Red Hat 7.3
> through Red Hats 8, 9, and, subsequently, all the Fedora Core releases
> until F7. The upgrades itself were always successful.

You have been lucky.
I have had the same, or similar, problems frequently
with previous CD versions of Fedora, both upgrading and clean installation.

I've come to the conclusion that the CD or DVD reading part of anaconda
is not the best.
The most annoying part was when it said it did not have the driver
for the CD reader, after it had been using it for some time.

I long ago gave up trying to use CDs or DVDs,
and now always use hard disk upgrades.