burn cd/dvd in command line

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Nov 11 17:54:52 UTC 2007

François Patte wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson a écrit :
>> François Patte wrote:
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> Now that there are no more entries for cd/dvd devices in fstab, how
>>> shall proceed to umount a cd/dvd-rom (needed to blank for instance)?
>>>
>>> graphical icon only allow to eject...
>>>
>> This is because the CD/DVD is not mounted.
>
> Of course not! If I can see the icon, it is mounted and no option
> "unmount" is proposed.... Only eject. run df to see)

Strange - when I insert a blank CD, I get an icon on the desktop,
but it is not mounted. A quick check my running the mount command
does not show it mounted. But if I put in a data CD, then mount will
show it mounted.

I do not have DVDs set to automount, so I do not get any response
when I put one in. (data or blank)

>> Now, if it were mounted,
>> you would have the unmount option from the icon. You could also run
>> "umount <device>" or "umount <mount point>" from the command line.
>> (If you have permission to unmount it, or run the command as root.)
>
> That is what a normal user does not have.

It depends on how it was mounted. I should have added that if HAL
mounted it using gnome-mount, then you can use the -u option of
gnome-mount to unmount it. For example, "gnome-mount -ud /dev/dvd"
should unmount it if the /dev/dvd dymlink points to the correct device.

Mikkel