Excessive network traffic -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 11 17:58:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 11:33 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> /usr/bin/cfgmaker
> Usage:
>     cfgmaker [options] [community@]router [[options]
> [community@]router ...]
>

> I can probably muddle through the options with a few trials but I am
> lost  with "community@]router"
>
> My router is known only as 192.168.1.1 but I'm looking at the output
> of the Wildblue receiver/modem and don't know how to address this
> except as eth0 on box10, the computer in which mrtg resides.

A very brief synopsis:

"Router" in the "community at router" string being the address of the
router, if you were going to have MRTG plot traffic through a router.
The "community" part being the name for the group of SNMP information
provided from the router.

In my case, it's public at router, as the router is making some information
about it's operation available, when asked for the "public" data.  I set
up the configuration file by running the cfgmaker command followed by
the public at router string.  Then did a bit of tweaking to the
configuration file it created for me (some things didn't work, there was
some duplication, and I wanted to customise things).

On more elaborate gear, it might have one set of data available to
anybody who queries public at router, and other information might be
available with a different community name.

If your router isn't accessible by a hostname, then use the IP, or add
information to your resolver to allow the hostname to be associated with
the IP (could be done using the hosts file, or DNS).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.