The puplet that devoured pirut? (... yum) Bug or feature?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 05:48:35 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 10:39 PM, Joe Christy <joe at eshu.net> wrote:
> Whenever I try to do an update with either of the applications mentioned
> above, I get:
>
> [root at moby Recover]# yum update
> Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 4642.
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

I am getting this too with a fresh install of F8 with Gnome.  It also
comes back periodically.  To get around it, you can kill -KILL the
specified pid (as root) and then use yum, etc.

> Exiting on user cancel.
> [root at moby Recover]# ps wwuax | egrep "yum|pup|pirut"
> root      2774  0.0  0.1 247672 12688 ?        SN   18:06   0:05
> /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd
> root      3275  0.0  0.2 248520 16892 ?        S    18:07   0:00
> /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/bin/puplet
> root      4642  0.4  1.4 346052 122312 ?       SN   20:06   0:04
> /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper --check --dbus
> root      4713  0.0  0.0  82240   820 pts/3    S+   20:25   0:00 egrep
> yum|pup|pirut
>
> and when I run pirut, it pops up a warning panel saying:
>
> Another application is currently running which is accessing software
> information.
>
> What is puplet supposed to show me? Is /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper
> supposed to do anything perceptible? Does puplet do anything under Gnome?
>
> Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> I know yum-updatesd was a no-op under F7. Is it the same under F8?

None of the above programs (which are running on my system too) seem
to be doing anything perceptible.  Except they might be causing a
rather large amount of network traffic that I have noticed with the
system monitor applet.  Hmm, this is new.  A notification just popped
up saying:
System is not receiving updates
Your system is currently not receiving software updates.  Please check
your network connection and/or set up software updates.

This is a balloon message from the little update icon (that's puplet,
right?).  I obviously do have network access since I am writing this
email and can do stuff with yum.  Very odd.  Okay, I now have the
update icon, which was not there before.

Jonathan