Labels

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Nov 12 07:39:15 UTC 2007

    Today I got busy and changed /etc/fstab and /grub/grub.conf so all
entries are LABEL= type. You do this with two software tools called
"e2lable" and the other "mkswap". Both have fair man pages so you can
read there how to it.

    You will find that the installer for f8 is setting up LABEL for the
root partition which is /1 and for the swap partition swap=/dev/sda2 and
it works fine. What I am doing is using more identified names.

    For Fedora 7 the root partition is LABEL=f7-main and the boot
partition is LABEL=f7-boot. The swap partition is LABEL=swap-f7. You
need to put both of these in the /etc/fstab file. In the grub.conf file
you use just LABEL=f7-main in the kernel line just before "quiet".

    For my Fedora 7-64 bit I used LABEL=f76-main and for Fedora 8 I used
LABEL=f8. The swap is LABEL=swap-f8.

    My BIOS is a real pain. When f7 is running the hard drive with f76
and f8 is way out at /dev/sdf! But when either f76 or f8 are running
then f7 is /dev/sdb.

    The label's allow the systems to work even when the hard drive's change.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User