How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:18:08 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 11:28:16PM +0530, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
>> Chris G wrote:
>>> I don't want to open up port 25 and it seems a bit silly anyway to
>>> send mail on such a long round trip.  Is there any way I can tell
>>> sendmail that home.isbd.net is localhost (or 192.168.1.1)?  I have an
>>> entry for home.isbd.net in my /etc/hosts file which is:-
>>>     192.168.1.1     home    home.isbd.net
>> Try adding 127.0.0.1 as home.isbd.net in the hosts file.
>>
> There's a big comment in /etc/hosts saying that breaks things.

Here's my hosts file. So far nothing is broken and all network based
services that I need run perfectly. Can't say about IRC or talk, simply
because I never use them. And no big comment advising not to do it there
either.

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
127.0.0.1       marvin
::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218