How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 12 16:35:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 13:53 +0000, Chris G wrote:
>     home$ telnet 127.0.0.1 25
>     Trying 127.0.0.1...
>     Connected to 127.0.0.1.
>     Escape character is '^]'.
>     220 home.isbd.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Mon, 12 Nov 2007
>     13:52:10 GMT
>     help
>     214-2.0.0 This is sendmail
>     214-2.0.0 Topics:
>     214-2.0.0       HELO    EHLO    MAIL    RCPT    DATA
>     214-2.0.0       RSET    NOOP    QUIT    HELP    VRFY
>     214-2.0.0       EXPN    VERB    ETRN    DSN     AUTH
>     214-2.0.0       STARTTLS
>     214-2.0.0 For more info use "HELP <topic>".
>     214-2.0.0 To report bugs in the implementation see
>     214-2.0.0       http://www.sendmail.org/email-addresses.html
>     214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
>     214 2.0.0 End of HELP info
>     quit
>     221 2.0.0 home.isbd.net closing connection
>     Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> But mail to home.isbd.net fails.

If you do "dig home.isbd.net MX" or "dig isbd.net MX" as command lines,
is the answer the IP for the machine you expect to handle your mail?

Don't have "dig"?  Install it...

Mail uses MX records, when done properly, not A records (nor entries in
hosts file, I think - I think MX will supersede them, too).

If the MX record points to somewhere else, that's where the mail will go
to.  Is this domain your own, or are you making use of your ISPs?  And
is it set up properly.

(I've done a whois lookup, but that's no guarantee that we're chatting
to the same person.)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.