Fedora 8

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Nov 12 20:34:33 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 11:49 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     Anaconda found that my computer has a Nvidia VGA hardware and even
>> called it the right model! I was happy and hoped it would carry on but
>> when I rebooted it has the same 800X600 off center x-windows that it had
>> with F7 when it was new. So it seems there has been no work on setting
>> up a new version of Fedora capable of working with Nvidia hardware. That
>> will be my bug.
>>

> A. Fedora (and/or X.org) cannot be held responsible for a semi-working
> driver. At least as long nVidia is refusing the release the required
> spec of nVidia chipset. Blame nVidia instead. (Yes, I know that nVidia
> is helping the 2D driver... but this is far from being sufficient.
> Sorry)
> B. ... Even if Fedora and/or do anything about a semi-working driver,
> unless you take the time to report the problem (with exact model
> numbers, configuration, etc), it will not be fixed.
> C. Having persistent (-unreported-) bugs doesn't mean "no work is being
> done"... In most cases it means: "We are not aware of the problem or
> have insufficient data to solve it". Xorg and Fedora developers are no
> psychic.
>
> ... In short, you can either (A) bitch and moan, or (B) you can help
> Fedora solve your problem (Filing a bug report, complete with
> machine/Xorg/etc configuration, etc).
> In case you're wondering, posting a message in fedora-users (without any
> meaningful information) is option A.
>
> - Gilboa

    There are two things I have to do to make Nvidia work on Fedora.
First not on FC6 but on F7 and F8 when you do a new load from the DVD
you get a strange not right X windows and you get no pointer.

    The pointer is easy, you just have to add to xorg.conf a Option that
causes Fedora to use the software pointer. Until you have gone to level
5 without a pointer you don't know what a pain the lack of a pointer is :-(

    I found on the Nvidia web page a great bash file that lets me update
the Nvidia kernel module when needed. It is my understanding that
somewhere in the Fedora group there exists this bash file and they are
making kernel rpm packages. And a rpm package to load so the system can
use the kernel.

    This has been here for around a year. But because of the Fedora
"standards" they will not package the needed Nvidia software because
they send us binary files. Now Nvidia has no problem sending the proper
binary files to  Microsoft who puts it into there packages and thank
Nvidia.

    How long will Nvidia be around? The last time I looked they have
bought back 2 million of their own shares at around $35/share and are
paying a profit to investors on slightly over 3 Billion dollars of
profit this year. We will see more and more new computers using Nvidia
products because they sell a hardware set to Motherboard makers that do
everything.

    So yes I will write 2 bugs. One will be to fix the pointer problem
forever, and the other will cover the problem I do not know how to solve.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User