DHCP server package

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 12 22:17:02 UTC 2007

Bill Maidment wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Bill Maidment wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry if this has already been revealed, but where is the DHCP server
>>> package on the Fedora 8 DVD?
>>> Cheers
>>> Bill
>>>

>> I don't have time to check right now, but it may not be on the DVD
>> at all. The DVD image is not large enough to hold all the packages,
>> so you may have to download it from one of the repos. I believe the
>> DVD image only holds the more commonly used packages.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> OK. I've found it on a repository. Thanks.
> It seems somewhat silly not to provide DHCP server on the DVD, as that
> needs to be set up in a new installation before users can install and
> connect to the network. It's only about 95kb.
> Cheers
> Bill

Most user do not need the DHCP server. It is not needed to connect
to the network. If you are going to run a DHCP server, you should be
using a static IP address for the server. Are you sure you are not
confusing the DHCP server with the DHCP client? You normally only
have one DHCP server for the entire network. (There are cases where
you run more then one, but that is not the normal setup...)

Mikkel