f8: anaconda generated device.map wrong, why?

Rainer Traut tr.ml at gmx.de
Tue Nov 13 10:03:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

this seems to me a bug I see for ages in fedora but happens in f8, too.
But maybe I'm doing somthing wrong?

Sys: Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 2 SATA discs in AHCI mode

1st disc: VISTA + XP
2nd disc: Linux; sdb1: /boot partition, Rest LVM

- I use the VISTA bootmanager in sda MBR to boot Vista, XP and Linux
setup with BCDedit.

- I install GRUB into the sdb1 partition.

Now the problems...

device.map has the wrong disc ordering:
(hd1)     /dev/sda
(hd0)     /dev/sdb

grub.conf is borked:
all references to the root partition are root(hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0)

If I fix both files, run  # grub-install /dev/sdb1 I can boot F8 fine.

Why is device ordering wrong?

Thx
Rainer