f8 nvidia - dynamic kernel module support

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 13 10:12:21 UTC 2007

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6896

> What differences are there between livna and freshrpm nvidia driver ?
I haven't checked lately, but it used to be:
- livna format is a kmod rpm for a specific kernel version. If the
kernel changes, you need to wait for livna to publish a new kmod suited
only to the new kernel. They get to do the compile, test release process.

- freshrpms format is a dkms module rpm. Along with requiring compiler
tools and kernels headers installed, dkms detects a change in kernel
during system boot up, and rebuilds the kernel interface to suit the new
kernel. Mostly this just works - maybe an extra 30 seconds to compile it
the first time you run a new kernel version.

DaveT.