f8 nvidia - dynamic kernel module support

Antonio antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:35:47 UTC 2007

2007/11/13, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au>:
> Mitsuho Iizuka wrote:
> > BTW, what is DKMS ? Direct Kernel .... ???
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6896
>
> > What differences are there between livna and freshrpm nvidia driver ?
> I haven't checked lately, but it used to be:
> - livna format is a kmod rpm for a specific kernel version. If the
> kernel changes, you need to wait for livna to publish a new kmod suited
> only to the new kernel. They get to do the compile, test release process.
>
> - freshrpms format is a dkms module rpm. Along with requiring compiler
> tools and kernels headers installed, dkms detects a change in kernel
> during system boot up, and rebuilds the kernel interface to suit the new
> kernel. Mostly this just works - maybe an extra 30 seconds to compile it
> the first time you run a new kernel version.
>
> DaveT.
>
> --

Dave

you are right...

In my setup, I use livna for everything but nvidia (I feel more
comfortable with nvidia from freshrpms): I have the feeling that
multimedia rpms from livna are better than freshrpms - I don't know
why, but I have no problems with radio streaming, maybe just a feeling
:-)
I am looking forward merging freshrpms and livna (what else??) as
already announced.....

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag