How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 13 11:37:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:29:13PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 19:24 +0000, Chris G wrote:
>>> Ah, I'm beginning to understand, mail to 'chris' and 'root' works, but
>>> sendmail would appear to add a hostname to what's sent by an MUA and
>>> anything with a hostname after the username is sent out, which doesn't
>>> work.
>> Hmm, this sounds familiar.  Somewhere along the line of setting up
>> networking on one of my boxes, it got a FQDN set where there should just
>> be a hostname.  Then sendmail was adding the domain name onto the end of
>> that.  Naturally, this didn't work.  And I got some peculiar error
>> messages.
>> e.g. What happened:
>>      my intended hostname:  machine
>>      my intended domain name:  example.com
>>      actual hostname:  machine.example.com
>>      actual domain name:  example.com
>>      Services making up a FQDN from the given information, came up
>>      with:  machine.example.com.example.com
>
> I haven't seen any evidence that that's happening to Chris; sendmail seems
> to have the correct idea of its own name, but for some reason it's not
> delivering mail to itself when Chris thinks it should.
>
> Running sendmail with magic incantations involving -d will probably tell
> Chris what it's doing. I've used it, and despite the current man-page's
> assertion I did not read the source code to find what to do. I think
> they're documented in the sendmail-doc package. I found them in a book by
> Paul Vixie, but that book's not where I am, and it is now very old.

I've got the O'Reilly "Sendmail" book, I got it some years ago when I
was more involved in such things.  It might throw some light on this
issue.

However it does feel distinctly like overkill when all I want is mail
delivery within a single system!  :-)

It may well be of course that a trivial sendmail.mc/sendmail.cf will
do what I want, it's obvious that most of the contents of these files
are totally irrelevant to local mail delivery.

--
Chris Green