Different NetworkManager DHCP behavior in F8

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Nov 13 17:09:00 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I upgraded from F7 to F8 using yum on a 32-bit desktop machine and a
64-bit desktop machine. Everything worked well (minus one minor issue
with expat on 64-bit), however, the NetworkManager application is not
acting the same under a DHCP envrionment.

I am used to having "send host-name "hostname";" in my
/etc/dhclient-eth0.conf file to give my computers a DNS-mapped IP
through DHCP. This worked well with F7. It does not work with F8 (no
hostname is sent). I have to stop the NetworkManager service and perform
a "service network restart" command in order to send the host name
correctly.

It also gives me a nice warning upon logging into XFCE since it cannot
find my hostname since NetworkManager didn't send it to the DHCP server
to turn into a DNS name. Rather annoying.

I searched the bugzilla for NetworkManager bugs and came up with
nothing. Is this a problem with my configuration or a new bug?

Mike