FC8 how to get static IP working

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Nov 13 19:51:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:37 -0800, Mike Wright wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:59:55 -0800
> > Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Based on that I'd have to say BOOTPROTO=none is correct.
> >

> > I did a scratch install of F8 on this computer and told it to use a static
> > address when it asked during the installation.
> >
> > I just checked and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 contains
> > "BOOTPROTO=static".
> >
> > I didn't put that there myself so the installer must have done it that way.
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> Please prove me wrong but I know of no protocol known as static.
>
> In my original post I did say I saw it misused frequently and you have
> just pointed out one more place.
>
> The only reason that the network scripts are NOT breaking is because
> they test for the presence of "dhcp" and "bootp" and if those are not
> found "none" is assumed.

Sorta true.  "dhcp" or "bootp" indicates that dynamic configuration is
to be done.  Anything OTHER than those two indicate a static
configuration.  By convention, the installer and system-config-network
set "BOOTPROTO=static".  No, it's not documented anywhere.  However,
when you think about it, "static" is pretty damned descriptive as to
what it is you want done.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -