DHCP server package

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 13 22:00:33 UTC 2007

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Bill Maidment wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> Bill Maidment wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't have time to check right now, but it may not be on the DVD
>>> at all. The DVD image is not large enough to hold all the packages,
>>> so you may have to download it from one of the repos. I believe the
>>> DVD image only holds the more commonly used packages.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>
>> OK. I've found it on a repository. Thanks.
>> It seems somewhat silly not to provide DHCP server on the DVD, as that
>> needs to be set up in a new installation before users can install and
>> connect to the network. It's only about 95kb.
>>
> It's not something most people will use, however. It would be nice, but
> it would also be nice, now that CD support has been dropped in favor of
> DVD-only, to realize the most current DVD hardware supports D/L and an
> 8.3GB DVD image could support everything, or more nearly so.

The current DVD image is nowhere near full, Debian Stable's on three DVD
images, all over 4 Gbytes.

06:59 [summer at numbat ~]$ lynx -dump
ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/iso |
egrep Kb
Nov  2 15:05  octet-stream     [2]Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso  3344482Kb
Nov  2 15:05  octet-stream     [3]Fedora-8-i386-rescuecd.iso  105306Kb
07:00 [summer at numbat ~]$

There's space for about another Gbyte.

--

Cheers