OT: server equipment to choose

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 13 22:21:50 UTC 2007

Strong wrote:
> I have to project a web/db-server that should handle 1,000
> simultaneous users. So, I would ask an advice on its hardware
> configuration and software to use.
>
> 1. My guess is this 2 servers of the following configuration:
>
> 2 4-core xeon 5335 CPU with supermicro case + sopressmicro mb + 4x4Gb
> RAM kingstone dual full buffered + 5È140Gb SCSI fujitsu HDD + SCSI
> adaptec asr-3805 raid5 controller
>
> organized together as a cluster.
>
> 2. OS I think to use last RHEL (or CentOS is good enough for this?)

I would expect no significant difference wrt performance between CentOS
and RHEL of equivalent releases.

CentOS necessarily releases behind RH - it has to wait for the source,
then build, then do its own QA.

OTOH if RH ever makes a serious blunder such that boxes don't boot, then
one might expect CentOS to dodge that one:-)

> Please share Your opinions on this specifications - whether it is
> suitable for such a task?

Whether it's suitable depends on what the users are doing as much as how
many there are. if you want help sizing, perhaps you should ask on the
appropriate RHEL list and/or CentOS.

You haven't said what you expect to do; for me users Scientific Linux is
better. Like CentOS it's built from RHEL source, but the target audience
requires additional software packages.

--

Cheers
John