rpm spec file

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 14 08:36:14 UTC 2007

I'm back with another question about rpm spec files.  This time I'm trying to
compile Vice (the Commodore 64 emulator).  Vice actually comes with a vice.spec
file in the tarball, but it's out-of-date and doesn't really work any more.

The point that I'm stuck at is this:  I have managed to get the actual
compiling process to work but when I get to the "install" portion I get the
following errors:

Making install in CBM-II
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/frankcox/rpmbuild/BUILD/vice-1.22/data/CBM-II' make[4]: Entering
directory `/home/frankcox/rpmbuild/BUILD/vice-1.22/data/CBM-II' make[4]:
Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'. test -z "/usr/local/lib/vice/CBM-II"
|| mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib/vice/CBM-II" mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/vice': Permission denied
make[4]: *** [install-cbm2DATA] Error 1

That's one example.  There are many other "Permission denied" errors, which is
not surprising because I'm not compiling this as root.

I have put my very slightly modified vice.spec file that I'm trying to make
work at the end of this message.  I tried modifying the %define prefix line
(third line from the top) in various ways but nothing changed; I still got the
same errors.

My question is, why can't I create this rpm as a non-root user?
I'm afraid that I don't know enough about the structure of a spec file to fix
this.

%define version 1.22
%define rel     1
%define prefix /usr/
BuildRoot: /var/tmp/vice-build-root

%description
VICE is a set of accurate emulators for the Commodore 64, 128, VIC20,
PET, Plus4 and CBM-II 8-bit computers, all of which run under the X
Window System.

%prep
%setup -q

%build
CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -DNO_REGPARM" ./configure --prefix=%{prefix}
--enable-gnomeui make

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{prefix}
make prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{prefix} install-strip
gzip -9 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{prefix}/man/man1/*
gzip -9 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{prefix}/info/*
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_menudir}

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files

%doc AUTHORS FEEDBACK INSTALL README

%{prefix}/bin/x64
%{prefix}/bin/x128
%{prefix}/bin/xplus4
%{prefix}/bin/xvic
%{prefix}/bin/xpet
%{prefix}/bin/xcbm2
%{prefix}/bin/c1541
%{prefix}/bin/petcat
%{prefix}/bin/vsid
%{prefix}/lib/vice/
%{prefix}/man/man1/*
%{prefix}/info/vice.info*
%{prefix}/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/vice.mo
%{prefix}/include/resid/*

%changelog
* Sun Dec 14 2003 Hoppar Tamas <linux-user at freemail.hu>
- fixed file filelist (some things missed)
- moved prefix to /usr
- enabled fullscreen and SDL support