OT: Request for Help Desk / Ticket System software.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:13:03 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 16:08 -0600, Chris wrote:
>>> You are correct - However, when creating a ticket (as an agent) for a
>>> user, it seems to require the users email address. That works in some
>>> cases but for users that do not have email addresses - its a no go.
>>> Simple because the MySQL database uses the email address as a key.
>>>
>>> I have not figured a way around that.
>>
>> Instruct users without an e-mail address to use a predefined one?  Or do
>> some scripting that does it for them.
>>
>> e.g. none at example.com
>>

> That won't work if you want to distinguish between users.

Use a dummy hostname for the email address with their real names.  Set
up sendmail's virtuser table to accept and discard anything set to this
dummy host.  Then you can just use the web side of the ticket system for
these people without losing the email capability for the vast number of
people who do use email.  And by the way, RT is a very good system.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com