radeon 9200, multiple outputs, fedora 8, X fubar'd

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 14 16:50:45 UTC 2007

I have been playing with getting X to work again ubder Fedora 8. I have
had similar problems when using Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 on another machine,
but was able to get those to work eventually by playing with xorg.conf.

I am not having much success with my home system and wanted to see if
anyone else has solved this already and can save me some time, otherwise
I'll keep plugging away and eventually bugzilla things.

I have a radeon 9200 card with two controllers that can run 3 outputs
(VGA, DVI and s-video). I only am using the DVI output which is attached
to controller 1. Controller 0 isn't supposed to be used.

There still appears to be a bug where the radeon driver can't detect
the type of monitor attached to the device. It is able to tell that there
is one attached, but no type is shown in the Xorg.0.log output. This caused
me some grief when I upgraded to Fedora 7, but using an xorg.conf config
that specified the monitor configuration solved the problem.

I did find that there is a way to specify which port/controller a monitor
is attached to. When I did this I got some reasonable mode lines for
the DVI output. However when X started up, I am not sure whether or not
it was trying to output to the DVI port. A light on the montior flashes
that I suspect indicates it isn't getting a signal.

I tried specifying specific screens in the device section(s) and haven't
been able to get that to work. This seemed applicable because in theory
my video card can support multiple independent displays.

I plan on doing some more reading and testing and will report back if I
actually figure out how to make it work.