fedora 8 boot up time

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 14 20:09:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 17:37 +0100, Joachim Kunze wrote:
> Well - have a look at this quite interesting page:
>
> http://www.harald-hoyer.de/linux/f8t3boot

The picture of the guy's head, on that page, reminds me of Peter
Seller's Dr Strangelove.  I think that may be deliberate...  ;-)

I've recently been having a play with Ubuntu, it's start-up time is
quite a lot quicker than Fedora's.  Although I can put some of that down
to there being less services started up, which asks the question "does
Fedora really have more daemons than it needs to?," I can also see that
when you do start some services they're much quicker to get started.

You can see that demonstrated, quite simply, if you start up in a text
mode, and watch how long the wait is for each service to get start and
move onto the next one.  And, no, it doesn't appear to be starting
services concurrently, there's definitely a wait for one thing before
the next thing fires off.

I haven't yet gone looking deeper into it to see if I can figure out
why.  Though, in the past, I speeded up some Fedora daemons start up
times quite significantly by stripping out all the comments in the
configuration files - Apache and Samba being two that I particularly
remember doing so made quite a radical difference to their start-up
speed.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.