any good UPS for a Fedora server

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:20:56 UTC 2007

Mike wrote:
> I get 3+ hours of run time from this combination (RS1500 plus external
> BR24BP battery):
>
>     http://reviews.compusa.com/2795/568415/reviews.htm
>
> The measured power consumption of the singler server that this backs
> up is only 115 watts, pretty low generally speaking.
>
> I use a usb cable between the RS1500 and the server.  I've configured
> apcupsd to page me when several different events happen, power out,
> power restored etc.
>
> The downside of the RS1500 and apcupsd is that 9 times out of 10 it
> triggers a shutdown long before the battery is even close to
> exhausted. To prevent this I replaced the shutdown script with a
> script that does nothing.  Never did find a more elegant solution.
>
> In any case this may not be the UPS for you but this works well for
> me. Someone can almsost always get to the server if the "Power
> restored" page doesn't come in within 2 hours of power out...
>
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Ali, Saqib wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a UPS for a single Fedora server for a non-profit
>> org. Only one machine (HP DL360 G4) will be connected to the UPS. We
>> need about 2 hrs of run-time, with automatic shutdown capability, and
>> restart when the power comes back.
>>
>> Any good APC UPS that has rpm for Fedora?

Also tried to tackle the problem with power not coming back on its own.
The problem appears when the computers shut off but a little bit of
power remains in the UPS batteries. The computers have a BIOS setting to
boot as soon as power is connected - but if the UPS is not drained, the
power is never really cut, so the result is that they don't boot if the
power comes back.
A workaround solution was to have the systems shutdown without poweroff,
just as the power was nearly drained from the UPS. Within the next 3-5
minutes or so, the UPS is drained completely and systems shut off.
Problem is, if power comes back on within those 3-5 minutes, the systems
will not come back up.

I've toyed with the idea of using a low-power computer which would stay
online after all others shut off - and have it bring up the rest. It
seems like a big hassle, though. You'd think there would be a plug-in
solution for the UPSes so the UPS itself can wake up the computers it
powers, when the power comes back on..