Unable to boot with kernel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8

André Costa blueser at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:59:08 UTC 2007

Hi,

I just upgraded to Fedora 8, and applied latest online updates. Aside
from minor glitches, updates went by just fine.

However, trying to boot the new 2.6.23.1-49 kernel results in kernel
panic -- something about not being able to mount root partition
because "relatime is not a recognized option or parameter is missing".

There's no relatime on my fstab:

/dev/Fedora/Root        /                       ext3
defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/Fedora/Swap        swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               /win                    ntfs-3g
defaults,user,auto,uid=500,gid=100      0 0

However, I did try to append "relatime" after "nodiratime" on the
first line before my first boot attempt with 2.6.23.1-49, but after
first boot failure I booted with the rescue cd and removed "relatime"
from /mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab.

Anyone knows what could be wrong?

In the meantime I will stick with 2.6.23.1-42, which is working.

TIA

Andre