Camera fc8 (canon ixus) weird usb problems

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 15 19:05:15 UTC 2007

bas wrote:
> I had no problems with canon ixus 30 running fc6 and fc7
>
> FC8, running root
>
> Physically connect Canon Ixus 30
> Camera import GUI pops up
> Click Import Photos
> Dialog: No camera detected
> After a few sec's
> Canon Digital Ixus 30 (normal mode)
> Message: "Camera not ready, multiple 'Identify camera' requests failed:
> OS error in camera communication"
>

> Searched the fedora forum, found following:
> i too have this problem with a Canon A460 ... looks a recurrence of
> something previous I had in FC5
>
> edit 50-udev.rules
>
> find the lines as follws and change mode 0644 to 0666.
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", \
> NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0644"
>
> ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", \
> PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev}; printf bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i
> $${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", \
> NAME="%c", MODE="0644"
>
> This is problably a kludge (I dont know for sure what impact this would
> have), but it lets my camera work for now.
>
> I did not find a file 50-udev.rules. I found a file
> 50-udev-default.rules. I looked for the two places with 0644. I found
> only one.
> Changed that, no effect.
> But I do not know how this udev mechanism works, the editor left a
> backup of the original file, so maybe that is another problem.
>
> Suggestions ?

First of all, do not edit 50-udev-default.rules. The safer way is to
create your own local rules file instead.

Second, depending on the type of device entry being created for hte
camera, the permissions may be controlled by console.perms. If that
is the case, then the changes you make in udev will be overwritten
by console.perms, unless you block it.

Having said this, it is more likely a HAL problem because it did
work in FC6 and F7. I wold advise filing a bug report, instead of
trying to find a work-around. That way, the problem will be fixed
for everyone that has the camera.

Mikkel