Can't remove or change a directory

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 15 19:44:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 13:49 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> I have an fc7 box that I'm trying to remove a directory on. I don't
> remember why I was playing with the directory permissions in the first
> place, but I just want to get rid of it.
>
> the directory is in /root and looks like this:
> dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2007-11-09 15:35 tmp
>
> I can't do anything with it. Any file change I try to make, chmod, rm,
> mv, etc I get this error like:
> chmod: changing permissions of `tmp': Read-only file system
>
> How can I get rid of this directory? I've been googling in circles and
> can't find a solution.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Hi, James,
	Since root owns the directory, you have to be root to change it.  BUT!!
be aware that tmp is a system directory.  Any buffering, temporary
storage, or image viewing you do on the internet likely uses this
directory.
	Try the following:
	su -
	enter the password for root as requested
	cd /
	chmod 777 tmp
	chmod +t tmp
	ls -al | grep tmp
	drwxrwxrwt   ## root root #### 2007-11-15 11:24 tmp

	Note that ## is

The t symbol marks the file as temporary, which is of interest to some
utilities during boot.  IF you omit the t, the tmp fill will eventually
overflow because it is not being flushed.

Regards,
Les H