Problem booting from PXE/kickstart on FC7

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 20:44:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Mike Wright wrote:

> APPEND ksdevice=eth0 load_ramdisk=1 initrd=images/fc7-install.img
> network ks=nfs:lan51:/opt/fc7/ks.cfg

Mine is simply
    kernel vmlinuz.f8
    append initrd=initrd.img.f8 ks
where vmlinuz.f8 and initrd.img.f8 are just the vmlinuz and initrd.img
files from the images/pxeboot directory of the Fedora 8 DVD (we have
Fedora 7 and Centos images as well), both placed in the tftpboot directory
of the tftp server (which the DHCP server directs the host to). The
kickstart file is of course on an NFS served directory.
I have got other targets set up to launch a rescue disk rather than
install do an install. We did this for a new DHCP server, and in getting
this right we found it useful to watch the network traffic from a machine
on the same leg of the network as the machine being installed (well
actually just running the rescue disk) and also on the tftp/NFS server.

	Michael Young