I done messed up (and other problems)

Greg Smith gsmith at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 22:08:17 UTC 2007

> I used syslinux to make mine bootable, using this information:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_to_a_USB_Flash_Drive

Thanks for the link!! That really helped.

I was even able to use my new bootable flash drive to fix my XP NTFS
partition.  I suspected that the only thing that was messed up in the
partition was the first sector, the so-called partition boot sector.

I used my usb drive to boot a laptop at work similar to mine in rescue
mode and copied the first sector of the NTFS partition to my usb drive
(dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/usb/sda1.bin bs=512 count=1).  Had to edit the file
to set offset 0x18 to the correct number of sectors and offset 0x28
(MFTMirr logical cluster number) to the correct value, neither of which
had been clobbered fortunately.  Then did dd to write it to
my /dev/sda1.  It worked!!

Greg Smith