f8 updates missing dependency (gecko-libs)?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:02:15 UTC 2007

On 15/11/2007, Raymond C. Rodgers <rh at bbnk.dhs.org> wrote:

>  Mike C wrote:
>  Tomasz Torcz <tomek <at> crocom.com.pl> writes:
>

>  Dnia 15-11-2007, czw o godzinie 13:08 +0000, Mike C pisze:
>

>  Anyone else seeing this today in F8 updates?
>
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.8 is needed by package yelp
>
>  I'm seeing it on i386 system installed as FC8rc3 and upgraded till
> today. Also saw it when "yum upgraded" F7 to F8 on x86_64.
>
>  Did you have a workaround -
> I tried "yum update --exclude gecko-libs --exclude yelp" but it did not
> help.
> I guess we will have to wait until the packaging error is fixed.
>

>  I've been seeing this problem on Fedora 8 x86-64 but I just got past it by
> removing firefox-devel via yum; I have no idea why firefox-devel was even
> installed, as I don't do any work on Firefox or plugins for it. Maybe
> that'll help you as well...

$ rpm -q --whatprovides firefox-devel
no package provides firefox-devel

If you yum remove firefox, it takes all its dependencies with it,
including yelp and devhelp. Then, if you reinstall firefox, you don't
get yelp and devhelp, and that's why that works. If, however, you
*need* yelp or devhelp, you can only wait for the update to enter the
repo.