F8/KDE - wrong ownership on all audio devices.

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 15:48:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 04:56:51PM +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> I'm got a 3 audio device setup on my workstation.
> SB Audigy 2 ZS, on-board i8x0 (nVidia chipset) and USB-sound (Logitech
> webcam).
> In previous versions, once I logged in as user gilboa, all audio device
> nods (both OSS and Alsa) were set to gilboa:sound with 0660 permissions.
> In F8, all devices remain root:root with 0660 permissions leaving me
> without sound. (Xine, Amarok, computer games, the works.)
>
> I assume that it has something to do with pulse audio. (Though I don't
> see pulseaudio in non of my F8 machines.)

The pulseaudio changeover didn't affect how permissions were handled --
that was all about moving from using pam_console to letting ConsoleKit
manage it.

Even though the ownership of the devices is still root, ConsoleKit
should be adding your user to the ACLs on the devices.

Is the "ConsoleKit" service started?  It needs to be running.

Does running "getfacl" on those devices list you in the entry?  If
things are working correctly, it should.

How are you starting your X session?  Whatever's being run needs to
register your session with ConsoleKit.  I know that GDM and xinit do it
correctly, and if I'm reading #228111 right, KDM does, too.

And what do you see when you run "ck-list-sessions"?  You should see an
entry that looks something like this ("..." being unimportant things
which are likely to differ between our systems -- the important thing is
that the session associated with your x11-display is marked "active"):
	Session...:
		uid = ...
		realname = ...
		seat = 'Seat1'