Fedora 8 Wireless Networking Out-Of-The-Box

Randy Yates yates at ieee.org
Mon Nov 19 00:20:59 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 09:40 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:
>>
>> Hi Fred,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. How did you set your wireless channel?
>>
>> How did you know to start the NetworkManager service? Is
>> there documentation from Redhat somewhere on this?
>>
>> I just tried starting the Networkmanager service and so
>> far (after about 3 minutes) it's still "in-progress" - doesn't
>> look promising.
>> --
> Assuming you have the wireless device driver losacted it is easy:

Whoa. And how does one "load the wireless device driver?" Do you
mean using ndiswrapper?

If you mean using ndiswrapper, I saw a message yesterday which
instructed the user to remove ndiswrapper. This is a big part of
my misunderstanding. Do we need ndiswrapper or not?

Is the network manager simply an easy way to switch between wired
and wireless networks once you have your wireless driver installed
(e.g., via ndiswrapper)?

> run:
> Run NetworkManager and NetwotkmanagerDispatcher and stop network init.d
> scripts. Ask if you don't know how.

I don't know what you mean by "stop network init.d scripts."
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "She tells me that she likes me very much,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %     but when I try to touch, she makes it