Filesystems Not Mounting

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Nov 20 20:47:52 UTC 2007

Gene Poole wrote:
> This is from Fedora 7. A week old install.
>
> A little history:
>       Was running Fedora 6 with all available fixes via yum without any
>       issues (this included Sun Java and Oracle 10g Enterprise database).
>       I performed a clean install on this same machine of Fedora 7.  But I
>       had the same filesystem issues so I went back to Fedora 6.
>       Later I performed a clean install on this machine of Fedora 8. But
>       with the Sun Java and Oracle database issues, I fell back to Fedora
>       6.
>       Now - After the EOL for Fedora 6 was announced and I saw no
>       resolution for the Oracle and Java issues, I did a clean install of
>       Fedora 7.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene Poole
> gene.poole at macys.com
>

>> Message: 10
>> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:40:07 -0600
>> From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
>> Subject: Re: Filesystems Not Mounting
>> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>> Gene Poole wrote:
>>
>>> You will notice below that the file system that I mounted manually,
>>> produces 2 entries in fstab.  And when you reboot the machine while it
>>>
> is
>
>>> going down produces an error for each duplicated entry.
>>>

>> What version of Fedora are you running? I have never seen mounting a
>>  file system manually produce changes in /etc/fstab. I do remember
>> that auto-mounting drives back in FC5 (FC4?) used to produce a
>> temporary entry in /etc/fstab when you hot-plugged a drive, but even
>> then manually mounting a file system would not produce an entry in
>> /etc/fstab. (It would in /etv/mtab...) So I suspect that the entries
>> were created some other way.
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
>>
>>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
>> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

    I am not seeing what the problem is. You say IT all works fine on
FC6. But you tried both F7 and F8 and you were not able to mount some
file systems. Now where are these file systems now?

     If they are on FC6 I should think you can cp -a from FC6 to F8 any
file system you want.

    You are talking about /etc/fstab and it has NOTHING to do with file
systems. Fstab is used to connect whole partitions to a main part.

    So please some details. Are you trying to move your Orical data base
directories to F8? That will not work. Orical has files all over the FC6
file system.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User