why does empty file /media/.hal-mtab-lock have suid bit set?

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 20 23:46:05 UTC 2007

HI, Dave,
	This is a "lock" file, used to prevent multiple access to another file.
When the other file is opened by an application, that application
generates the lock file to signal that the file is in use.  When the
application closes, the lock file is deleted and the next application in
the thread que for access can open and write to the file.  It is to
prevent write errors on your disk.

Regards,