bcm4318 - Can It Work with Newer Kernels?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Wed Nov 21 06:00:00 UTC 2007

I'm running F6 (2.6.20-1.2962.fc6 kernel) and the bcm4318 works
perfectly with ndiswrapper using networkmanager or neat (works with wep
and wpa). It's stable and fast. With any newer kernel I need to use the
rev. 4 firmware. I finally found this firmware and used fwcutter to
extract and install it in /lib/firmware. It ALMOST works. NetworkManager
starts and tries to connect (dmesg shows that the radio is on and the
driver is loaded) but never connects. Worse it ALWAYS locks up the
system (can't even get to a console or open a terminal shell) and I have
to do a hard reboot. I'm running on a Dell Inspiron 2200 that has the
4318 built in. I'm not sure why newer kernels would necessarily screw up
a working wireless card. Is there some way to use the older driver with
ndiswrapper and the newer kernels? I have not been able to get
ndiswrapper to work with this card and the newer kernels. I need to fix
this before I can consider moving to F8.

Any suggestions on getting this to work would be appreciated. Any
suggestions for a wireless pccard would also be appreciated.

Rick B.