mount hfsplus

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Nov 21 18:10:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:31 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 20:00 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > # fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb6
> > > *** Checking Volume Header:
> > > fsck.hfsplus: fsck.hfsplus: This looks like a normal HFS volume (Unknown
> > > error 4294967295)
> > >
> > > that clobbered it - ugh...
> > >
> > > I should have waited
> > ----
> > OK - ran to office and connected to a Mac
> >
> > DiskUtility.app fixed it right away  whew!
> >
> > I am not so sure about the abilities of hfsplusutils
>
> To be honest, I've never used it.  The only HFS+ volume I have is my
> iPod and I only futz with that on my ancient Mac Mini.
----
well, I have succumbed to only using 'fat' for iPods so I can go
anywhere with it without much difficulty. I definitely wouldn't
recommend fsck.hfsplus /dev/iPod   ;-)

Turned out that after I repaired the filesystem on the hard drive at the
office, ran back home, copied files from my Linux system to the hfsplus
hard drive that at the end of the copy, I got some disk errors. Returned
to office today and DiskUtil.app couldn't repair so I am copying
everything off and will repartition and copy back on.

Also turns out that in looking back at logs from first connection, that
mount likewise showed a dirty unmount which clued me in that it wasn't
my fault at all. In checking with the boss, he forgot that he needed to
'unmount' USB/Firewire hard drives from desktop before disconnecting and
apparently had been repeating that bad behavior for quite some time.
Apparently, I never had a chance with his hard drive in the first place.

But considering that DiskUtil.app claimed to have repaired the
filesystem when fsck.hfsplus couldn't suggests that fsck.hfsplus is
probably not ready for prime time since DiskUtil.app is rather unskilled
at repair and Apple still considers hard disk utilities a 3rd party
opportunity.

Craig