PUP - Insert CD?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 22 10:47:44 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob Goodwin writes:
>

>> In an up to date F8 I am prompted to run PUP, it proceeds to view the
>> updates and when it gets to "apply updates" requests that I insert
>> "Fedora 8 (disk 1)?"  I suppose I could try the DVD from which it was
>> installed but update from the command line works and I prefer it anyway.
>
> Here's a pop quiz for you: see what happens when you click on that big
> "Manage Repositories" button.

Apparently I'm missing something here?

All I get is "Update details," "Apply updates," and "Quit."

"Manage Repositories" may come up on another screen or perhaps the
problem is that presently I am looking at it from an F7 computer?

I just booted the F8 computer, it immediately displayed the PUP screen
and after being told to do the update shows as above plus a large
"Insert CD" error message which does contain "Repository Manager!"  I
somehow missed that ...

Clicking on that tells me it is stymied by "InstallMedia Fedora8."
Clicking on "Add" brings up a form requesting information that requires
a "new repository."  I could research that further but the GUI looses
its element of convenience at that point.

Curiously "yum update --exclude=tetex*" works without any error
message.  That will do until I find what to add to the repo list.  This
no doubt is the result of an upgrade from F7 to F8.  I haven't done an
upgrade in a long time and thought I would give it a try when I was
offered the option from the DVD installer.

Thanks for the help.

Bob Goodwin