Codeina: Intriguing idea, but...

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Nov 22 19:29:00 UTC 2007

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

>> working, legal set of codecs to use on Fedora (although I did notice the
>> current fluendo codecs need a bunch of textrels.. grr!).
>
> https://core.fluendo.com/gstreamer/trac/ticket/24
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

I followed the link and I was intrigued by the one comment.

We are working on this problem, but due to relying on some proprietary
3rd party software we are a bit stuck atm, but we will update the
plugins with a fix for this as soon as possible,

Isn't this the issue that keeps coming up?  Closed source issues causing
headaches.  Now if I remember correctly, anything closed source was not
being supported by Fedora if you submitted a bug report.  Example,
Nvidia drivers.

But into the Codina issue.  I want codecs for the applications that I
use and those are VLC and mplayer/mencoder.  So Codecs that are for any
and all applications on my system that I want to install.

--
Robin Laing