b43: Driver keeps upping CPU % until system freezes for a few seconds?

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:43:40 UTC 2007

A while ago, I switched from using ndiswrapper to work my Broadcom wireless
to using the b43 driver with the proper firmware.  Since then, my system
seems to randomly freeze and then unfreeze (from anything between a second
to a few minutes in length).  When I checked the system monitor, I noticed
something strange; although the b43 driver generally doesn't use much CPU
power, every once in a while, it jumps to 40-60% of the system CPU, which
corresponds to the odd freezing periods.

So my question is, why would my wireless driver keep sucking CPU power until
the system freezes, and then let go?