sha1sum problems :-(

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 23 17:21:11 UTC 2007

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Ok, I downloaded the brand-new Fedora 8 iso file:
>
> [vmarko at sith ~]$ sha1sum Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso
> 782a0e80de1b8e9f24e10e40055cc1b545390cbd  Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso
>
> After burning it to two dvd's on two different machines (one Windows, the
> other Linux) using different software (Nero and K3B), I get:
>
> [vmarko at sith ~]$ sha1sum /dev/dvd
> 04e39c4be1cf577b98a8b94ff61bdb60252ec6cb  /dev/dvd

  "sha1sum /dev/dvd" is not a reliable way to read a disc, though it may
work on some hardware.  Try using the rawread script at

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

instead.  This uses the isoinfo command to determine how big the ISO
file is, then runs a dd command that attempts to read exactly that much
off the drive.  If this still fails, then please report back.  I'm
currently seeing a return of the old mediacheck problem (linux readahead
bug).