uucp

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Nov 24 16:24:26 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> Not really relevant to your query,
>>> but are you sure you need karl in the uucp group?
>>> I use uucp (I thought I was the only person left in the world using it)
>>> and I am not in the uucp group, which only contains the user uucp.
>>> Admittedly I use "port type tcp" but I wouldn't have thought
>>> that was relevant.
>>>
>> The default group for the serial ports is uucp.
>
> But do you need to use a serial port for uucp
> if you are not using a serial modem,
> which I take it very few people on this list would be doing?
>
> Do people normally use serial ports today?
>
> Even if you are using a serial modem,
> I'm not entirely clear why you need to have access to ttyS?
> In my case, at least, uucp runs as a cron job
> and conveys my email to /var/spool/mail/<whoever>.

The thing I think you are missing is this has nothing to do with
uucp the program. It is just that the default group ownership of
serial ports is uucp. Now, if you need to use the serial port for
anythings as a user, be it dialing into some site with a modem, or
talking to another system, router, pint server, etc over a serial
port, you need access to the serial port. (Making a PPP connection
over dialup is a different case.)

In my case, I use serial ports to connect to an old Plam III that I
keep around, a DMM that will send data over a serial link, a data
capture board with a RS-232 interface, a print server with a serial
control port, and HPC over a null modem cable. I sometimes connect
to other things as well. There are a few other things I connect to
from time to time, but this should give you an idea.

Mikkel