ip masquerading

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Nov 24 17:19:32 UTC 2007

bruce wrote:

> i have a situation where i have a system with two connections, one
> wireless, one eth connetion. i can currently connect with the wireless
> ath0 to my network/internet/etc...
>
> however, when i activate the eth0 at the same time, i can't access the
> network via ath0. as far as i can tell, i need to implement ip masquerade
> to have eth0 map, to ath0...
>
> my test ip addresses are:
>  ath0 - 192.168.1.33
>  eth0 - 192.168.2.33
>
> any thoughts/comments/pointers...

I don't really understand your setup.
Is this a laptop connecting to a desktop which connects to the internet?
If so, I can't believe that you need ip masquerade to connect via ethernet.
I'm sure the problem is much simpler.

Maybe it's a dhcp problem?
Or maybe you are running a firewall on the desktop
that does not allow access from your first LAN (192.168.1.*)?