Can Java just shoot me?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:21:14 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:

>>> I disagree.  Usable java is the way out of monopoly control of web
>>> browsers (and hardware as well).  It's unfortunate that alternative
>>> operating systems haven't worked to provide it.
> But Java doesn't have very much to do with 99% of what a browser shows
> you.

Of course not - how can anyone depend on a client having a compatible
version to display it?  If every OS, including those on phones, game
consoles, and similar devices, supplied a working jvm, it would be used
for all sorts of things that aren't portable now.

 > It's just a way of running client side applications.  At least
> that's what the Java plugin (which is what provoked this whole thread)
> is for.

Think of that as anything that isn't a static html page...

> How will Java be "the way out of monopoly control of web browsers"?
> It's the people who write an maintain Firefox and other 'freeware'
> browsers who are doing that surely.

They have to do it because they can't count on java applets working.

> Using Java as a general purpose programming language is a whole
> different ball game, it's something I'm involved in where I work but
> it has nothing whatever to do with browsers or the web.

And you have no interest in remote execution without being locked into
specific hardware or operating systems?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com